From The Book of Udon
Single Noodles of Wisdom
The book of single noodles of wisdom is largely meant to be a resource for humans when they are struggling with a difficult problem and are not sure what to do.
With these thoughts in mind, please accept these single noodles of wisdom, to be discussed and ruminated over. And if a human were to eat a magical mushroom of some kind before asking themselves what a noodle might mean, that would be okay with the FSM.
1. Life isn’t a problem to be solved. It is an experience to be had.
2. It’s not about finding yourself. It’s about creating yourself.
3. Be careful what you put in your brain. Make sure it is something you want to see when you close your eyes at night.
4. Everything and everyone has a beauty, even if it is hidden.
5. Trust is the residue of kept agreements.
6. Life’s most persistent and urgent question is: What are you doing for your community and your species?
7. Strip away the labels. I am just a human, and you are just a human. Let us relate on that level.
8. Education is the most powerful tool that you can use to change the world.
9. Set yourself up for future success in small ways every day.
10. No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
11. When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot so you have something to hold onto.
12. There is nothing permanent except change.
13. You cannot shake hands when you have a clenched fist.
14. Do not mind too much what others tell you. Judge everyone and every thing for yourself.
15. A journey of thousands of miles always starts with a single step.
16. There is only one thing on Earth that you have complete control over, and that is what you choose to do.
17. I have not failed. I have simply found a lot of ways that don’t work.
18. Very little is needed to lead a happy life. Most of what you need is within yourself, and your way of viewing the world.
19. The world is your country, and its people are all your brothers and sisters. Be good to them.
20. Believe in as many or as few gods as you want to. Just remember that no amount of belief in any god is enough to make you a good person.
21. It is never a waste to plant a tree that you might never sit under when it is grown.
22. Let us sacrifice our today if we must, so that the children of our community will have a better future.
23. No matter what people tell you; words and ideas can change the world.
24. A single flame can light a thousand candles without dimming even a little.
25. It’s not too late to change everything about yourself and be someone new.
26. As long as you are alive, there is always hope.
27. Happiness does not reside in possessions. It resides instead in relationships and in deeds.
28. If the world seems cold to you, kindle fires to warm it.
29. Memories of our words and deeds will be all that is left to mark our lives when we die.
30. Holding onto hate or resentment for another person is like swallowing fire. It hurts you, but the other person cannot feel it at all.
31. Each person is dealt some limitations at birth; whether in fortune, mind, or body. Do not make more for yourself than the ones that you came with.
32. You are matter that is imbued with the rare gift of consciousness. Act like it.
33. Self-esteem is mostly only healthy if it is earned.
34. Your personal myth does not necessarily come from a place of truth. Question it often.
35. If the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn’t exist, then why is DNA shaped like a noodle?
36. Learn from the past, but don’t live there.
37. The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer someone else up.
38. In the practice of tolerance, one’s enemy is the best teacher.
39. Believe in life before death, and in creating heaven on Earth.
40. The best revenge against a bad parent or someone who hurt you is to live well, so that they might see how their influence did not deter you.
41. Don’t get so busy working a job that you forget to live a life.
42. Pasta is more than noodles and sauce. Pasta is an idea.
These 42 single noodles are offered to you in the hopes that you will take each noodle and think about it in relation to yourself, your community, and the world.